This document will take you through the steps of connecting to MotionBuilder with a Hand Engine data stream.
MotionBuilder: Supports version 2016 to 2020
MotionBuilder Plugin: Download the most up to date Plugins from the Downloads Section of your StretchSense Account at stretchsense.com/my-account/
Operating System: Windows 10
Setting up your MotionBuilder
- Download and Install the StretchSense Hand Engine and MotionBuilderNOTE: for this example we are using version MoBu2019
- Launch Hand Engine and setup handSee Hand Engine User Guide (DOC-5010) for glove calibration instructions
- Once the hand is trained, in the Device Pane on the left of the screen, enter your TCP Port number and set Streaming to On. Check that the Streaming Status light in the device title bar (the right traffic light indicator) has turned green.
- Next we need to add the most up to date plugin to MotionBuilder. To do this, first ensure MotionBuilder is closed. Then navigate to the Plugins folder you have downloaded from your StretchSenses account page, and then navigate to the HE Mobu 1.0.12 folder to find the plugin corresponding to your version of MotionBuilder, eg. HandEngineMobu18_150321_1.dll corresponds to MotionBuilder 2018.
- Copy the DLL matching your version of MotionBuilder (i.e. HandEngineMobuXX, where XX refers to version of Mobu) to the directory:<MotionBuilder Install Directory>\Autodesk\MotionBuilder 20XX\bin\x64\plugins\
- The plugin is now installed in MotionBuilder, to test you can open the Hands.fbx asset. The Hands.fbx asset can be found in the assets directory in the installation directory of StretchSense Hand Engine (e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\StretchSense\Hand Engine\assets\).
- In Resources > Asset Browser > Templates > Devices find the device OR - HandEngine Link and drag this into the scene.
- In the Navigator > Devices find the new OR - HandEngine Link device and then set the IP Address and TCP Port settings as specified in Hand EngineNOTE: The default value for Address is 127.0.0.1 (= localhost), i.e., you are running Hand Engine on the same PC that you are running MoBu. If you have bound Hand Engine to a different IP address (e.g. if you are running Hand Engine and MoBu on different computers on the same LAN), use this IP address instead for Host.NOTE: this is the step you need to repeat, if you turn Streaming to Off in Hand Engine as previously described.
- Press the online button and you should see the icon turn green and the sample(s)/s value increase signifying data arriving at Mobu.
- From the model binding dropdown select hand_l (note if Right Hand is selected in Hand Engine, the binding option will swap to hand_r).
- The hand in the scene should now move as you move your hand.
- To record an animation in MotionBuilder:a. First right click on the Action timeline and select Time → Show as timecode,b. Ensure Recording is ticked in the Stretchsense HandLink Device,c. Click the Record button in the MoBu Transport Controls and create/overwrite a take.d. Click the Play button in the MoBu Transport Controls to begin recording.NOTE: Starting to record a take in MoBu will trigger Hand Engine to begin recording raw data simultaneously. The take name from MoBu will be sent to Hand Engine and the raw data file recorded by Hand Engine will be recorded in a new folder that follows the <take name>_<date>_<time> format.NOTE: To replay the take in MoBu, ensure Live is unticked, right click on the Action timeline and select Time → Frame Take, then click Play