This document will take you through the steps
of connecting to Maya with a Hand Engine data
Autodesk Maya (tested up to Maya 2020): https://www.autodesk.co.nz/products/maya/overview
Maya Hand Engine Plugin: Download the most up to date Plugins from the Downloads Section of your StretchSense Account at stretchsense.com/my-account/
Operating System: Windows 10
Setting up your Maya
- Download and Install the StretchSense Hand Engine and MayaNOTE: for this example, we are using version Maya 2020
- Launch Hand Engine and setup hand.See Hand Engine User Guide (DOC-5010) for glove calibration instructions.
- Once the hand is trained, in the Device Pane on the left of the screen, enter your TCP Port number and set Streaming to On. Check that the Streaming Status light in the device title bar (the right traffic light indicator) has turned green.
- Next, we need to add the plugin directory to the Maya Environment Variables. To do this, first navigate to the Plugins folder of where you have saved your downloaded plugins (see image below) and find the plugin directory corresponding to the Maya and copy this file path.
- Open the Maya.env file in a text editor this will be found in \Users\<username>\Documents\maya\<Maya version>\Maya.env
- In Maya.env add the single line of code MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH = <plugin install directory>
e.g. MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH = C:\Users\<your username>\Downloads\Plugins-Hand-Engine-Update-2021-03-24\StretchSense Hand Engine Plugin Pack (2021-03-24)\Maya 01.00.01
- Launch Maya, click on File, then Import to import the asset you want to stream hand data to.
- To launch the plugin, open Windows → Settings/Preferences → Plug-in Manager
- From the Plugin Manager find HandEnginePlugin.py and tick the Loaded box.
- This will launch the Hand Engine Link window:
- If your target asset is using a namespace you can select this from the drop box, if not leave this box blank.
- Press Connect and data will start streaming to the target asset.